Taking regular breaks during your work day is good for you – to release tension and tightness that may build up in the body from sitting too much – and also to give your mind a short break which can help you feel good, and help with your productivity at work.
5 simple stretches to give your body and mind a break:
- Place both feet on the floor (shoes off if you like) and sit up as straight as is comfortable. Take a breath in while raising your arms up towards the ceiling (bring your hands to touch if you make it that far), and then as you breathe out, bring your arms slowly down by your side. Repeat 5 times or as many as feels good for you.
- As you breathe in, roll your shoulders up towards your ears. As you breathe out, roll your shoulders back and down. Repeat 5 times or as many as feels good for you.
- Allow your right ear to tilt to the right side, keeping your right shoulder down and relaxed as much as possible. This stretches the left side of your neck – if it feels quite tight, just move a little to the side and don’t hold for long. Bring your head back to a neutral position. Allow your left ear to tilt to the left side, keeping your left shoulder down and relaxed as much as possible. This stretches the right side of your neck. Repeat a few times on each side to loosen out tightness or tension in your neck.
- Bring your arms forward and off the desk. Bend your thumbs in and fold your fingers over the thumbs so that your hands are in fists. Circle from the wrists a few times, going first in one direction, and then repeat going the opposite direction. Notice how both your wrists feel as you do this.
- Shake out the hands, the wrists, the arms, the elbows, trying to move from the shoulders to loosen out as much as possible.
Notice how you feel having done this. It’s great to repeat a few times during the day, especially if you are sitting at your desk a lot.
Another nice way to take a short break during the work day (or any day), is to practice some breathing exercises.
You can also to use essentials oils to help your body and mind; they are great for stress relief and soothing tight or tense muscles.